Monday, October 1, 2012

I'll Be What You Want Me to Be

(Disclaimer: This is one of those posts that is just me sharing some thoughts. No cute pictures or stories of the kids, so feel free to skip!)
Our stake here in Ephraim recently underwent some major changes in ward boundaries. Every ward was changed at least a little, and some wards, like my previous ward, were (for lack of a better term) hacked to pieces. My former ward is now part of 5 different wards. And part of going to a new ward means new callings. My calling was primary chorister, and I loved it. Sure, I would feel tired worn out almost every week, but it was such a rewarding calling! I have been doing it for 3 years, so I had a feeling my time was coming to an end, but I told my bishop a few months ago that if there was any way they could make it my lifelong calling that would be fine with me. It is pretty much the only calling I have had in my grown-up church service. And, not to sound pompous, I think I was pretty good at it. I had a blast anyway.
But then the wards were realigned, and since I was now in a different ward, I was automatically released from my calling. I turned in my keys, which really made Josh upset. He kept asking me to go get my keys back so I could still be his song teacher. And I really wanted too, because I was scared about where else I might end up. When my new ward asked me to substitute as chorister for our first week, I was excited, and so was Josh. I couldn't help but think that maybe if I did a good enough job, they would give me my "old job" back and everything would go back to normal.
Then came the phone call asking me to meet with a member of the bishopric before church. My awesome backyard neighbor is now a counselor in the bishopric, and he was the one to issue the calling. He started by telling me that his first reaction to "all the organizations who wanted me" (I think they just say that to everyone to butter you up) was that you just can't take Sister Weller out of singing time! Then came the word "but"... "But at this time the call we would like to extend is secretary in the Young Women Organization."
Of course I accepted the calling, but as I headed home, I was baffled. Primary is all I have ever done! How do I relate to people over the age of 11?! I kept thinking to myself that at least it was "just secretary" since I didn't feel like I had much to offer in the way of spiritual enrichment. I spent the day in the primary room subbing as chorister, and the whole time I just kept thinking about all the songs I had been meaning to teach.
After church, I made my way to the bishop's office to be set apart. The member of the bishopric who set me apart was someone who I had met for the first time that day. When he set me apart, he said exactly what I needed to hear. He said the Lord knew that I was looking for ways to continue to grow and learn and that this calling would allow me to increase my understanding of the influence of the gospel. He said that the young women of the ward need my quiet example to learn what it means to be a righteous mother and wife. And I cried. I felt silly because he had no idea how much I needed to hear those things. My testimony was strengthened that God is aware of us, and that He really does want me in this calling. And so I will put away my word charts and visual aids for now, and on Tuesday night I will go to mutual, for the first time in about 10 years. And I will try my best to be what He wants me to be.

2 comments:

going gordon said...

Face it, you are one of those amazing people that can do anything and do it well! You will be great!

Christensens said...

I wholeheartedly agree with Kim G, though my kids will miss you!