One of my goals for myself this year is to work on my personal progress so I can earn my Young Womanhood award. The first value experience I have chosen is:
Discover the principles of faith taught by the mothers of Helaman’s stripling warriors. Read Alma 56:45–48 and 57:21. Review what “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” says about a mother’s role. With a mother, grandmother, or leader, discuss the qualities a woman needs in order to teach children to have faith and to base their decisions on gospel truths. How can these principles help you in your life today and help you prepare to be a faithful woman, wife, and mother? Record your thoughts and feelings in your journal.
I figured- why not make this a discussion of sorts on my blog? A bit less public than a Facebook discussion, but still a way to "discuss" this topic with other moms. Here are my thoughts. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments, and if you don't want me to post it, I can just delete it after I read it.
I have discovered that you can't teach something without knowing it yourself. Not really surprising, is it? I cannot teach my children to wait patiently for things if I myself have no patience. I cannot teach them to use nice words and 'inside voices' if I am raising my voice at them saying not-so-nice things. I know it is important for me to show them examples of my faith and testimony. Now, I know that they are young. I don't expect any deep gospel discussions with my almost 5 yr old, a 2 yr old, and a newborn. But I do think that if they see me saying my personal prayers, they will have a seed planted. Knowing that mommy takes time to read the scriptures for a few minutes each day will hopefully show them that I value the scriptures.
I have also found out that I cannot do everything I see other moms or families doing. Some things just won't work for us, and quite frankly I don't have the energy some other moms seem to have! I was getting overwhelmed when I started thinking about the responsibilities of raising children. But instead of making a long list of ways I am falling short, I think I will choose a simple daily approach instead. Did we do something spiritual today (family prayer, scripture study, etc)? Did they get physically fed (or at least have food available that they may have chosen not to eat...)? Did I show my love to each child today? To me, if we get these three things in each day, it qualifies as a successful day, no matter what other momentary failures there may have been.
I look forward to hearing thoughts from some of you about qualities it takes to be a faithful woman, wife, and mother.
2 comments:
Kristen! This was something I really needed today! Thank you so much for deciding to post it on here!It has been too long since I read over the The Family: A Proclimation to the World.
I sing "Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad? Made someone feel glad? If not I have failed indeed!" in my head daily to remind myself to look for opportunities to serve someone...Reading your post, scriptures and Proc., i had myself an AH-HA moment! Who will benefit the most from my service? My husband and my children... Hello! If I've cheered up their sad! Made them feel glad! then yes I'd say its a pretty darn successful day!
So cool! Thanks for sharing, and what a great idea to put your ideas here!
Post a Comment