Thursday, February 23, 2012

1, 2, 3, 4

A few weeks ago, I was listening to a broadcast on the Mormon Channel (which, by the way, is amazing, and you should all check it out, either online or on your mobile device). They have a Relief Society Program which has a monthly program related to the visiting teaching message for the month, but they also have other topics that they cover. The one I was listening to was Sister Julie Beck (Relief Society General President) discussing Motherhood. It was fantastic- worth taking a listen for sure. It is great for all stages of life too.
She mentioned one thing in the broadcast that has changed my life. Seriously. She talked about "1, 2, 3, 4"- four things that you should do first thing in the morning every day. This may not be exactly what she said, but this is how I interpreted it:
1- Get out of bed and on your knees to pray. This shows the Lord that the first thing you want to do each day is invite his Spirit to guide and protect you and your family.
2- Make the bed. This represents you doing a physical action to match the mental action of getting up. By making the bed you are saying "I'm not getting back in there until the day is done." (Plus, if you are like me, this might be the only household chore you accomplish each day!)
3- Spend time in the scriptures. This shows the Lord that you are actively seeking direction and inspiration. It may be a chapter, it may be a verse, but spend some time with the scriptures.
4- Get ready for the day. By getting ready for the day, you are getting rid of yesterday and whatever may have happened. It is a new day, and you are ready for it.

Now, I know some of you might be thinking "Yeah right- Sister Beck talks a big game, but that is just adding to the list of things to do in the morning." That is what I thought too, but I had a strong prompting to give it a try. The order varies each day, but I have been making an effort to do my "1, 2, 3, 4" every day, and it has truly made a difference. I am not saying that every day is perfect- far from it. My kids still drive me crazy and make me want to scream and/or cry sometimes, my house is messy, and I feel like I don't know what I am doing sometimes. But I do feel closer to the spirit. And I feel like I am in control- or at least, slightly more in control than days when I wouldn't get around to showering until noon or later.
It has helped me take control of other areas of my life as well. I now exercise every night at 8:00ish- right after the kids are put in bed. That way I don't have to get up super early in the morning, which I love, and I am able to mentally punch, kick, and stomp on the bad things that happened that day. I am finally able to take the kids to Story Hour at the library because I am completely ready for the day before 11:00.
I will be honest, I do allow myself one day a week as a scrounge day, but I have found myself not wanting to use my scrounge days. It is just so much better when I get in my "1, 2, 3, 4."

4 comments:

Tonii said...

this is so great Kristin...thank you for sharing it! I definitely need to implement this into my morning routine. SO often I wait to do these things til my kids are napping and at school...by then I am so burned out I just lounge on the couch and get nothing accomplished. You have totally inspired me today! :)

the coltons said...

on one hand, great! one more person getting it together while i don't! i want to stay in bed all day! :) but on the other hand, i know what you are saying is truth. i'm just a PRO at coming up with excuses ;)

Cara :) said...

I loved this! I loved hearing the "why" behind each number - I've sort of known it, but reading the words made it even more clear! Thank you for posting! :)

Paul and Susan's NY Historic Sites Mission said...

A wonderful reminder. Thanks.
Love ya guys, Aunt Susan