Sunday, October 5, 2008

Long Lost Family and Sanding

Wow--what a week this has been! Kristen's brother and family who live in the far northern reaches of Idaho came down to visit this week. Since it is a 15-hour drive each way, we don't get to see them very often. Something about having 4 small children and long car rides...

Kristen was able to go down on Wednesday to visit them for a few days before they go home tomorrow. All of the nieces and nephews were so excited to see Josh, and they were surprised to see how big he has gotten since the last time they saw him (which was back in at the beginning of June!)

While they were gone for a couple of days, I kept myself busy by sanding the trim around the wall that separates the kitchen and livingroom to get it ready to stain this week. I was able to buy a palm sander, and the dust really flew! The wood is just really old, and is in desperate need of a good refinishing. Plus, if we keep making improvements to the apartment, we hope that the Housing office will let us stay here for another year. It looks really good, and when we finish, we'll post pictures. Josh got really scared of the sander the first time I turned it on, so it was convenient that Kristen was able to take him for a couple of days so I could sand for hours on end without the fear of scaring the poor kid.
I had to get a substitute during the first week of teaching so I could go up to a luncheon in Provo. I was selected to receive the "Teacher of Tomorrow" award from an association of curriculum development. Every year, one student from each University in the state who is going into education is selected to receive this award, and I guess I got lucky enough to be nominated to get it. Pretty cool, eh?
This is Char Shepard, the director of student teaching placement from Westminster. She is the one who called me and let me know I had won the award.This is a really random picture, but we had to take it. Josh really loves to crinkle up magazine pages--he loves the sound it makes!
Well, this is a pretty long post, but it's been a pretty action-packed week.

3 comments:

Dani said...

That's SO AWESOME Steve! You've been really getting things on the roll lately -no surprised you won the award when you already have a real teaching job while others are probably still just student teaching. Congrats!

Kristen Weller said...

I feel kind of guilty that old Ensigns are the only magazines we have around the house to let him attack. Oh well. At least it wasn't a conference issue!

Melissa said...

Steve, Congratulations on the many awards you have been receiving! You are a saint and a scholar! haha, I hope you are enjoying your classroom! I would love to hear about the experiences of a first-year teacher!