Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dead birds, Babysitters, and Being On-Duty

So, I killed a bird yesterday with my bike. I was riding back to work from lunch and a bird flew out of the bushes right next to me. It spooked me, and I didn't really see what happened to it. I figured it flew away or back into the bushes. Anyway, then I was riding my bike home at the end of the day, and as I passed the "scene of the crime" I saw a dead robin. I guess it died by flying into the spokes of my bike tire. Pretty sad. I'm a bird killer.

Today was Baby Josh's first day at the babysitters. A gal in our ward has a 2 1/2 year old boy and she agreed to watch Josh for us while I am at work. It isn't too bad. I drop him off in the morning before I go to work at about 9:45, and Steve picks him up around 3:15ish (1:30ish on Mondays and Fridays). When I left him this morning, I was surprised by how sad I was to leave him. It was definitely different than leaving him with Steve. He was a very good boy though, according to the babysitter, so that is good. He is really a great baby.

Steve and I have now had three straight days of being officially on-duty as RAs. It hasn't been too bad. Mostly just checking people in. All our residents seem to be doing a pretty good job getting to know each other. We have our big Mandatory Meeting tonight and tomorrow night to discuss the rules, so that should be exciting. I got to go around and do kick-outs and lock the doors last night. The kids are pretty respectful and willing to obey the rules, which is nice. Hopefully they stay that way!

3 comments:

SarahC said...

Welcome to the fellow bird killer club! I killed a bird once while driving in my car & it got stuck in my windshield wiper right in front of my face. I screamed(while driving) all the way to a party I was headed to. I had to get my friends father to remove the dead bird for me because I was afraid of touching the bloody mess it created on my car.

*Aliese* said...

Just like your friend who commented before me--totally hit a bird while driving and it was caught in the windshield wipers! When I turned them on to try to get the little carcass OFF, it just smeared birdie blood and guts all over...GROSS.

Necia and Joe Shumway said...

wow fun students :)
i miss you!!! It's been forever and I think I need to come visit on our way back to Utah!!! We are taking the 70 and that will take us up past ephraim!!! what do you think?